Avoid the shtuss yet be an informed smart Jew while standing on one leg! Here’s the news being talked about by Jews today…
Today’s Skim of the News for Jews – Be a Smart Aleck!
- A Damming Indictment of the United Nations, which is primarily united in being Anti-Israel. “The United Nations began its annual session this week, and Israel will be prominent on the agenda. Research shows that the U.N. uses an entirely different rhetoric and set of legal concepts when dealing with Israel compared with situations of occupation or settlements world-wide. For example, Israel is referred to as the “Occupying Power” 530 times in General Assembly resolutions. Yet in seven major instances of past or present prolonged military occupation—Indonesia in East Timor, Turkey in northern Cyprus, Russia in areas of Georgia, Morocco in Western Sahara, Vietnam in Cambodia, Armenia in areas of Azerbaijan, and Russia in Ukraine’s Crimea—the number is zero. General Assembly resolutions have referred to Israeli-held territories as “occupied” 2,342 times, while the territories mentioned above are referred to as “occupied” a mere 16 times combined. The term appears in 90% of resolutions dealing with Israel, and only in 14% of the much smaller number of resolutions dealing with the all the other situations, a difference that vastly surpasses the threshold of statistical significance.”
- Israel launches new surveillance satellite, one of few countries who can do so, but satellite fails to function properly. Israel's Ministry of Defense launched the Ofek 11 surveillance satellite from south Tel Aviv. But several hours after the launch the head of the space program reported that the satellite had encountered problems and that not all systems were functioning. The IAI was striving to stabilize the satellite. We wish them the best in recovering proper control, Israel needs such satellites more than ever!
- Israeli founder, former Prime Minister and former President Shimon Peres suffers at stroke at 93, in critical condition. Former Israeli President Shimon Peres has undergone a major stroke and is fighting for his life. The 93 year-old former president is on a respirator and is heavily sedated and is under close observation from the hospital's medical staff. Refuah Shalayma, a full recovery.
- Israeli wines rated as surprisingly fantastic, and their kosher! Wine Spectator arrived at a “surprising” fact: Israeli wines are good. So good, in fact, that vintages from the Jewish state received the highest ratings they had ever received — more than a quarter of the 120 wines sampled received an “outstanding” score of at least 90 out of 100.
- US House of Representatives honors Elie Wiesel, a”h. U.S. House of Representatives unanimously approves resolution honoring the life and work of Holocaust survivor and Nobel Laureate. "After surviving one of the darkest moments in history, he spoke up and offered a voice to the voiceless. He offered hope to people without hope.”
…support the Jewish News Skim, click here.
…and that’s the news of interest to Jews today. (our skim is ethnically focused, but we’re thrilled for every reader)