Today’s Skim of the News for Jews – Be a Smart Aleck!
- JEWISH DATES of SIGNIFICANCE - Today is Chai Elul, the birthday of the Baal Shem Tov and Alter Rebbe of Chabad. "Chai Elul" -- the 18th day of the Hebrew month of Elul -- is the birthday of the founder of Chassidism, Rabbi Israel Baal Shem Tov. It is also the day, 36 years later, on which the Baal Shem Tov began to publicly disseminate his teachings. It is also the birthdayof Rabbi Schneur Zalman of Liadi, who established the "Chabad" branch of Chassidism, which emphasizes in-depth study and intense contemplation as the key to vitalizing the entire person, from sublime mind to practical deed, in connecting with and serving G-d with joy.
- US President Obama dings Israel at UN General Assembly for having the nerve to exist and stop people from trying to kill them – and UN General Secretary does the same. The United Nations has proven it’s actually the Anti-Israel Assembly, ignoring mass world wide wars, slaughters, and genocide to give Israel a stern talking to for failing to commit national suicide. And as the UN and US continue funding and supporting terrorist generating societies, they are now reaping what they have sown after inviting immigrates and refugees from those societies. “Russia bombs Syria aid convoy, kills 20. Reaction @UN_HRC now in session: Urgent debates 0, Resolutions 0, Inquiries 0”. The hypocrisy is stark.
- Hacked emails of US Presidential Candidate show advisors suggesting diplomatic moves that “may kill many Jews” in Israel. “The stream of anti-Israel advice received was very comprehensive and appalling. In one case and advisor noted the very real possibility that Israel would be placing its national security at grave risk in a deal that would very likely fail and lead to a Hamas takeover. But the advisor felt the risks to Israeli lives were worth it. Another advisor recommended clandestinely stirring up violent protests in an attempt to force Israel to go against its best interests.
- 70% of European Jews won’t go to synagogue for Rosh Hashanah due to security fears. A poll released on Tuesday shows that 70% of European Jews won’t go to synagogue on Rosh Hashana or Yom Kippur due to security concerns. The poll also found that 80% of respondents are concerned about a rise in anti-Semitism in their countries. “The challenge for most of the Jewish communities has doubled in recent months,” said the head of the Rabbinical Center of Europe. He cited an increase in attacks on Jewish individuals, institutions and communities, which he partly blamed on the influx of refugees to Europe and partly on the right wing response to the influx. It always starts with the Jews…but never ends with them. Now with stabbing attacks in Germany & Belgium…and Minnesota, and bombings in New Jersey and New York, ANYONE LISTENING?
- Horribly Anti-Semitic Anti-Israel course RETURNS to UC Berkley after being pulled. Just one week after the University of California, Berkeley, suspended the student-led course, "Palestine: A Settler Colonial Analysis," the Bay Area university has decided to reinstate the anti-Semitic and anti-Israel class. It’s ok though, disparaging Jews, the Torah, Jewish connection to Israel, and Israelis has become standard on many US college campuses – though its almost always funded by and/or taught by Arab Muslims. No conflict of interest there.
…support the Jewish News Skim, click here.
…and that’s the news of interest to Jews today. (our skim is ethnically focused, but we’re thrilled for every reader)