Avoid the SHTUSS yet be an informed smart Jew while standing on one leg! Here’s the news being talked about by Jews today…
This Shabbos is Parshat V’EtChanan. We don’t publish on Shabbos (Saturday), be back Sunday (G-d willing).
Today’s Skim of the News for Jews – Be a Smart Aleck!
- Venezuela goes full-anti-Semitic, blaming “money changing Jews” for their socialist economic woes. Popular national magazine “The Truths of Miguel” blames Venezuala’s self-inflicted socialist economic woes on alleged illicit use of foreign exchange by companies it said were run by people of “Jewish origin.” The image emblazoned on the magazine’s cover featured a picture of an ultra-Orthodox Jew with a Star of David made of dollar bills, with the headline “The Rabbis of Cadivi”. This is exactly how pogroms start, as the socialist zealots now have popular justification.
- Turkey wracked by anti-authority bombings in southeast. This week saw a series of bomb attacks in Turkey that are being blamed on Kurdish separatists, the PKK. A series of policemen and nearby civilians were killed and injured, including 3 bombings in one day.
- U.S. tactical nuclear weapons (small nukes) moved out of Turkey to Romania, closer to Ukraine/Russia – away from Turkey, or both. 50 tactical nukes are stored at the NATO Air Base about 70 miles from the Syrian border in Turkey. Reports say the U.S. is moving half of them to Romania, moving them away from Turkey who is flirting with an increased relationship with Russia as well as away from possible attacks by ISIS, as well as moving them towards the Ukraine in case of a Russian invasion (or just as a general political threat).
- Russia moves 40,000 troops to Ukrainian border, prompting fears of a Russian invasion of Eastern Ukraine. Among the units deployed to the area are armored vehicles, tanks and fighter jets. Russia considers NATO’s moving of troops & equipment closer to Russia to be a strategic threat (such as the move to tactical nukes). Is Russia countering the threat or planning to annex further parts of the Ukraine? Time will tell.
- Zika worse than thought, damaging adult brain memory functions. New research shows “Zika can clearly enter the brain of adults and wreak havoc.” In an adult Zika affects a part of the brain responsible for learning and memory. “The virus could theoretically impact long-term memory or risk of depression.” Zika has also been linked to Guillain-Barré syndrome, a rare condition in which the immune system attacks parts of the nervous system, leading to muscle weakness or even paralysis. This “rare” condition is happening in approximately 1.5% of Zika cases presented to hospitals.
- Get Married by App in Israel, Israeli Govt releases marriage registration app. Ministry releases “Digital Religious Council,” a mobile app allowing anyone wishing to register for marriage to do so via app. All necessary documents can be filled out in the app or pictured and uploaded via the app. The app will be available at the end of September.
- It’s Shabbos Parshat v’EtChanan worldwide. Go to synagogue and hear how Moses tells the Jewish People that they will they inherit the Land of Israel, but then turn away from G-d, be exiled, but later return to G-d and return to Israel.
- Photo of the Day – cover of Venezuelan magazine blaming Jews for their own idiotic national economic decisions. This is how pogroms start.
…and that’s the news of interest to Jews today. (our skim is ethnically focused, but we’re thrilled for every reader)