Avoid the SHTUSS yet be an informed smart Jew while standing on one leg! Here’s the news being talked about by Jews today…
Today’s Skim of the News for Jews – Be a Smart Aleck!
- It’s Shabbos Parshat Eikev, and less than 40 days until Rosh Hashana! Moses promises the children of Israel that if they fulfill (G-d’s) commandments, they will prosper in the Land (of Israel). This parsha includes the Shema Yisroel prayer, the blessing of the land flowing with milk and honey, and the 7 kinds found there. Go to synagogue and hear the blessings!
- Turkey blows up, again! A car bomb explosion rocked a police headquarters in the town of Cizre in Turkey, killing 9 people and wounding at least 64. Cizre is located in Sirnak, a province that borders both Syria and Iraq and has a largely Kurdish population. The attack was immediately blamed on the PKK, a Kurdish separatist organization. A ceasefire between the PKK and Turkish government collapsed last year.
- Belgium blows up! An explosion at a sports centre in the southern Belgian town of Chimay killed 1 and wounded 4. Half the building was destroyed. Local police have no idea of the cause but immediately went to “probably a gas explosion”.
- Assassination attempt against German PM in Czech! A feared assassination attempt on German Chancellor Angela Merkel has reportedly been foiled in Prague. Czech police halted an armed man in his car as he allegedly tried to join Merkel’s motorcade during her visit to the capital. Local reports claim that officers found a baton, a canister of tear gas, cement blocks, and handcuffs in the man’s black 4x4 Mercedes.
- Israeli cyberespionage software causes world wide Apple iOS update. An attempted hack on the phone of a United Arab Emirates human rights worker brought a commercial Israeli cyber attack tool into the open, showing it using 3 unknown flaws in Apple’s phones. Apple issued fixes yesterday. Now who bought top Israeli cyber attack tools and used them against an Arab anti-government human rights worker in the United Arab Emirates?
- Another Missile Attack against Israel Thursday…but ignored because it missed. Another missile, apparently a large one, was launched from Gaza towards Israel Thursday night. Fortunately it didn’t make it, falling and striking Gaza itself (in the last war, 10% of Gaza casualties were their own rockets). Gaza media reported of the sounds of a huge explosion both from the launch site and the crash site.
…and that’s the news of interest to Jews today. (our skim is ethnically focused, but we’re thrilled for every reader)