Avoid SHTUSS OVERLOAD yet be an informed smart Jew in under 5 minutes! Here’s the news being talked about by Jews today…
Today’s Skim of the News for Smart Jews – Be a Smart Aleck!
- Nazi propagandist Goebel’s secretary says “we knew nothing”. One of the last surviving eyewitnesses of the inner workings of the Nazi machine, has broken her near-silence of over 70 years. “Those people nowadays who say they would have stood up against the Nazis – I believe they are sincere in meaning that, but believe me, most of them wouldn’t have,” she said. “The whole country was as if under a kind of a spell… I could open myself up to the accusations that I wasn’t interested in politics but the truth is, the idealism of youth might easily have led to you having your neck broken.”
- Hezbollah recruiting West Bank & Israeli Arabs via Facebook to commit terror attacks against Israel, terror cells caught in the planning stages. The terror cells reflect a concentrated effort by Hezbollah over the past few years to recruit terrorists from the West Bank and Gaza to commit terror attacks against Israeli targets. One terrorist told interrogators that he was in constant contact with his Hezbollah controller through Facebook, and later through email. The controller even sent him an encryption program to allow them to communicate undetected.
- US Generals told to change intelligence and downplay ISIS. U.S. Central Command's instructed to downplay the threats of ISIS and Al Qaeda. U.S. military leaders altered intelligence reports "to paint a rosier picture" of the U.S.-led fight against ISIS than intelligence analysts believed was warranted. It was "highly irresponsible" for a senior official to downplay the intelligence because "now we have a real, valid national security threat that was borne out of this directive to Central Command."
- Jewish students being hassled in U.S. public high schools, administration tells them to understand the behavior because because the attackers are part of an ‘oppressed and victimized’ people. Harassment, including attacks and posting of anti-semitic cartoons, of Jewish students by anti-Israel students identifying with Hamas answered with “no action will be taken because the attackers are oppressed” and the Jewish students should empathize.
- Half of Refugees entering U.S. this year are Muslim. The U.S. has received 28,957 Muslim refugees so far in (fiscal year) 2016, or nearly half (46%) of the more than 63,000 refugees who have entered the country. Refugees make up a small percentage (about one-in-ten) of the roughly 1 million immigrants granted lawful permanent residency in the U.S. each year, but the U.S. only tracks religion of refugees.
- Israel’s economy up 3.7% in Q2, for 2.9% so far in 2016. Private consumption, the economy's growth engine for the past two years, grew even faster in the first half of the year, with a 7.3% increase. Investment in fixed assets jumped 13% and exports of goods and services, climbed 4.9%, all numbers up significantly from last year and Q1 this year. Israel’s economy, Baruch Hashem, is booming.
- (Repeat) Americans who wish to vote in the U.S. election from Israel, time to register is almost past. Here’s a link to make registration easy.
…and that’s the news of interest to Jews today. (our skim is ethnically focused, but we’re thrilled for every reader)