Avoid SHTUSS OVERLOAD yet be an informed smart Jew in under 5 minutes! Here’s the news being talked about by Jews today…
Today’s Skim of the News for Smart Jews – Be a Smart Aleck!
- Man lights train on fire and stabs passengers in Switzerland. 6 stabbed or burned, including children, in the attack in Salez, (eastern) Switzerland. Attacker was an as yet unidentified 27 year old man.
- Over 50 civilians killed in Alepo, Syria, including children in civil war fighting on Saturday. Air raids and shelling are killing tens of civilians DAILY in Alepo. Strangely, no UN condemnations or NGO reports about poor targeting or UNWRA tweets about schools and hospitals being hit are to be found. One might think that such response is only taken when it’s Israel defending herself.
- Milwakee, USA burns as riots engulf city Saturday night after a police shooting of an (armed) black civilian. Rioters smashed police cars, burned police cars, burned a gas station and an auto parts store. Ongoing gunfire preventing first responders from moving in. Even reporters and community leaders fled the scene as riots became more dangerous and shots were being fired.
- Rampant spread of Zika in Puerto Rico. Warnings that one in four people in Puerto Rico to be infected with the Zika virus before the year’s end. Puerto Rico reported 1,914 new cases of the disease in the last week. Of those, 90 have been hospitalized and 30 are paralyzed! (That’s a 3% hospitalization rate, and a 1.5% paralyzation rate!!!) If you live in a Zika area, get SERIOUS about mosquito control, bed mosquito nets, protective clothing, everything you can do!
- US administration releases Religious Freedom report slamming Palestinian Anti-Semitism. The administrations final report on religious freedoms focused on oppressive blasphemy laws and societal norms in Muslim countries, and highlighted anti-Jewish propaganda in the Palestinian territories. The section on the West Bank and the Gaza Strip noted “anti-Semitic material continued to appear” in official Palestinian Authority media in the West Bank and in Hamas media in the Gaza Strip, and that Hamas and other radical groups often followed rocket attacks on Israel with anti-Semitic statements claiming responsibility.
- Archeological finds in the City of David excavations ancient Israel Seals with references to King Hezekiah and lower-level royal officials and even of a woman named Elihana bat Gael. “If all that stuff is built on the notion that none of this ever happened (when UNESCO says Jews have no connection to Jerusalem), and then you pull a seal out of the ground with the names of the ministers straight out of the Bible one after the next in the same verse... that causes problems.”
- Archeologist, in finding Joshua’s alter site, proves Biblical history. Biblical scholars have postulated that Deuteronomy was written 600 years after the Torah, but finding Joshua’s alter on Mt. Eval proves otherwise says noted archeologist. Much of Biblical Scholars postulations that the Torah is not true have fallen apart in the last 10 years as archeologists keep pulling supporting artifacts out of the ground in Israel.
- The Fast Day of Tisha b’Av is observed today. The 9th of Av is a tragic day in Jewish history, with a series of horrors including the destruction of both Holy Temples in Jerusalem.f until Sunday.
- Picture of the Day… Tisha b’Av observances at the Western Wall last night…
…and that’s the news of interest to Jews today. (our skim is ethnically focused, but we’re thrilled for every reader)