Avoid SHTUSS OVERLOAD yet be an informed smart Jew in under 5 minutes! Here’s the news being talked about by Jews today…
Interested in receiving Skim for Jews by email or WhatsApp? If there’s interest comment on the blog site and we’ll make it happen (G-d willing).
Today’s Skim of the News for Smart Jews – Be a Smart Aleck!
- Two Chabad Rabbis firebombed in Rockland County, New York. The rabbis of Chabad of New City, NY were firebombed this week, one firebomb of a house setting fire to a tree, the other attempting to set fire to the rabbi’s car. Alden Wolfe, chairman of the Rockland County Legislature, acknowledged a culture of anti-Semitism in the county. “Legitimate policy issues are continually being mixed in with anti-Semitic rhetoric,” said Wolfe. “I’ve been saying for months that such words eventually turn into hateful, violent actions.”
- Yeshiva student stabbed by Arab multiple times in Jerusalem near the Mt. of Olives. A yeshiva student (rabbinical student) was surprised and stabbed multiple times at a bus stop outside the Mt. of Olives in Jerusalem. The attacker escaped, the victim survived and is recovering in the hospital.
- California proposes laws fining private Religious colleges that restrict or prohibit active same-gender relationships. As religious institutions, religious colleges are able to receive federal exemptions from complying with some nondiscrimination laws that contradict church/synagogue/mosque teachings. California lawmakers are targeting these exemptions, with a focus on Christian colleges but which will affect ALL religious institutions.
- Black Lives Matter activists attempt to redefine ‘Genocide’ to apply to Israel, ‘cultural genocide’ now worse than mass murder. They assert that “genocide” need not refer to systematic extermination and mass murder. Rather ‘genocide’ is now “cultural genocide—losing a culture, losing a language, losing your land.” From their vantage, “genocide” monopolizes emotive power in the hands of a particular class of wrongs; preventing them from being harnessed to combat other injustices.
- String of Bombs kills 4 and wound 20 in tourist district in Hua Hin, Thailand. Twin bombs exploded in upscale resort and were followed by two more on Friday morning. According to staff at local hospitals, German, Italian, Dutch and Austrian nationals were among the wounded. Past bombings in the country have involved an Islamic insurgency and Chinese Uighur (Muslim minority) attackers.
- Hypocrisy in public as former U.S. presidential candidate and Jewish socialist U.S. senator Bernie Sanders buys 3rd home, a lake front cottage, for almost $600,000 a week after his campaign ends. “Fresh off the presidential campaign trail, the self-described Democratic socialist bought a seasonal waterfront home on Lake Champlain in North Hero, Vermont, for $575,000.” The socialist campaigned on taxing the rich and leveling status. Do as I say, not as a I do.
- It’s the Torah portion of Devarim and Tisha b’Av. Moses begins his review of the Torah and the appointment of the Judges. It’s also the end of the Three Weeks with the 9th of Av, but since it occurs on Shabbos the fast is put off until Sunday. May we merit the building of the 3rd Beis HaMikdash by then!
- Picture of the Day… Painting of the Holy Jewish Temple in Jerusalem
…and that’s the news of interest to Jews today. (our skim is ethnically focused, but we’re thrilled for every reader)