Avoid SHTUSS OVERLOAD yet be an informed smart Jew in under 5 minutes! Here’s the news being talked about by Jews today…
Interested in receiving Skim for Jews by email or WhatsApp? If there’s interest comment on the blog site and we’ll make it happen (G-d willing).
Today’s Skim of the News for Smart Jews – Be a Smart Aleck!
- Israeli athletes enduring “shocking” hostility and taunting at the Olympics. Animosity toward the Israeli olympians has triggered a reprimand from the International Olympic Committee and alarm from Jewish groups. “Instead of using the events to promote peace between people, (the Arabs) have brought their brainwashed minds to Rio, how unfortunate that they could not implement the good, peaceful intentions of the Olympics, and instead have used it as a forum to spread hate and continued rejection of peace.”
- More Zika cases in Miami, Florida. As the number of locally acquired Zika cases in Miami climbed a notch on Tuesday, county officials held an emergency meeting to blunt concerns about an epidemic. “Miami is the first United States city affected by Zika, but it is unlikely to be the last unless an intensive effort is made to curb the virus.” Efforts are slowing down transmission, but not stopping it.
- U.S. fertility (child birth) rates fall to lowest level ever. The number of babies born per woman between ages of 15 and 44 in the U.S. are at the lowest levels ever recorded, according to the CDC. The report found a continued decline in birth rates for women between the ages of 15 and 29, but an increase in women 30-34 (though not high enough to offset the younger age decline). U.S. birthrates are now below replacement levels, meaning a future population decline is in the works.
- Russia accuses Ukraine of attacks in Crimea. Ukraine accuses Russia of faking attacks for a provocation. Is renewed cross-border war breaking out between Russia and Ukraine? We deplore the cycle of violence!
- Hospital “blows up” in Mardin, Turkey. At least 50 people wounded, unknown death count. The hospital is located near the Syrian border, and could easily have been a target of ISIS or of Kurdish terrorists. Why did the hospital go boom? “The cause of the incident remains unclear.”
…and that’s the news of interest to Jews today. (our skim is ethnically focused, but we’re thrilled for every reader)