Avoid SHTUSS OVERLOAD yet be an informed smart Jew in under 5 minutes! Here’s the news being talked about by Jews today…
Would you be interested in receiving the Skim for Jews by email or by WhatsApp? If there’s interest (comment on the blog site), we’ll make it happen (G-d willing).
Today’s Skim of the News for Smart Jews – Be a Smart Aleck!
- Zika cases in Houston area Texas, with death of a newborn. Texas has reported 97 cases of Zika virus , including the two infants with severely deformed heads. All Texas cases are related to travel abroad to areas with active Zika. The specific type of mosquitos that carry the disease are difficult to spray for. "They stay low to the ground, oftentimes bites you in your feet, your legs, this is a mosquito that likes to take multiple meals. It loves humans, so if it sees a dog or a cat nearby, it'll go to the human."
- Black Lives Matter doubles down on claims of Israeli genocide of “Palestinians”. The co-author of the platform accusing Israel of “genocide” defended the term, saying Israel’s actions fit in its wider definition but is perplexed that it has received so much attention. “The US justifies and advances the global war on terror via its alliance with Israel and is complicit in the genocide taking place against the Palestinian people.” People have a strange definition of genocide, or does he mean Israel refuses to be a VICTIM of “Palestinian” perpetrated genocide?
- Dangers to freedom and religious practice in new anti-discrimination laws in the U.S., especially for observant Jews. As the core of the Jewish population in the U.S. becomes observant Jews (due to intermarriage versus observant Jews high birth rate), “anti-discrimination” will be the pretext to move against the Jewish community. “Orthodox Judaism can’t exist without what leftists have redefined as discrimination in today’s hyper-sensitive age.” Observant Judaism does not recognize women as rabbis, does not recognize Jewish-Gentile intermarriages as legitimate, and does not recognize same-gender marriages or relationships. With the rise in anti-Jewish sentiment on the left, it brings with it potentially dire consequences for the community’s religious liberty. This is a long term prediction, but you already see businesses being fined for refusing to provide services that violate their religious strictures.
- Unusually Large Meteor Shower on Friday Night, Shabbos Tisha b’Av. During the peak, if the predictions are right, as many as 100 meteors or more may be seen burning across the night sky each hour. The light from the Moon will interfere to some extent for the first part of the night, so observers are advised to look out in the early morning hours after midnight when the Moon is very low or has set.
- Today’s “reading the news” illustrative picture is a clip from the painting “Reading a Newspaper” (1910) by Yehuda Pen, Chagall’s teacher.
- Photo of the Day… Ramat Gan at Sundown by Arsen Ostrovsky, @Ostrov_a
…and that’s the news of interest to Jews today. (our skim is ethnically focused, but we’re thrilled for every reader)