Avoid the SHTUSS yet be an informed smart Jew while standing on one leg! Here’s the news being talked about by Jews today…
Today’s Skim of the News for Jews – Be a Smart Aleck!
- An earthquake hit central Italy today, leveling one town and shaking Rome. At least 20 are dead in a major earthquake in Italy, focused on Amatrice. The mayor said half the buildings are down, there has been a landslide and the bridge is out.
- North Korea fires a ballistic missile from a submarine, threatens nuclear war against U.S. North Korea warned Monday that it would launch a preemptive nuclear attack against the U.S. and South Korea if they showed the “slightest sign of aggression” toward Pyongyang. Its “first-strike” units are prepared to conduct retaliatory strikes on South Korean and U.S. forces, threatening to turn the two nations into “a heap of ashes.” In response the Obama administration “strongly condemned” the submarine test launch.
- 3 stabbed, one murdered in Australia by jihadi tourist from France screaming “Allahu Ackbar”. "Initial inquiries indicate that comments which may be construed of being of an extremist nature were made by the alleged offender," said Queensland Police Service Deputy Commissioner. "This person appears to have acted alone."
- Today is the anniversary of the Jewish Massacre in Hebron of 1929. While the “Palestinians” would love to blame Israel, it didn’t exist yet. Neither did it exist when the Arabs of Hebron massacred Jews in 1834 and 1517. Could this be their way of life? Should others die if killing is a cultural trait?
- Rebbetzin Esther Jungreis, a”h, pioneer in Jewish outreach, founder of the international Hineni organization, passed away Tuesday at the age of 80. Rebbetzin Jungreis was born in Szeged, Hungary, in 1936, where her father, HaRav Avraham HaLevi Jungreis, was chief rabbi. In 1947, after going through the horrors of the concentration camps and the Holocaust, the Jungreis family arrived in Brooklyn. The Rebbetzin and her husband embarked on a lifelong mission devoted to combating the ravages of secularization and assimilation in the United States. Writer, author, speaker, leader, outreach pioneer, spiritual confidant and light, she touched many hundreds of thousands and will be missed. May her family be comforted among the mourners of Ziyon and Yerushalayim.
- The Soros Plan to Marginalize and Destabilize Israel revealed. After the election of Barack Obama in 2009, the George Soros organization saw an opportunity to weaken the pro-Israel lobby's influence in Washington. So his Open Society Foundations began an ambitious project in 2009 to persuade Europe and the U.S. to "hold Israel accountable" for violations of international law. Soros's organization, then known as the Open Society Institute, did not want to be open about its advocacy. “The organization must maintain a low public profile regarding OSI sponsorship of this initiative." "For a variety of reasons we wanted to construct a diversified portfolio of grants dealing with Israel and Palestine, funding both (left wing anti-Israel “peace groups) Israeli Jewish and (Palestinian Citizens of Israel) groups as well as building a portfolio of Palestinian grants and in all cases to maintain a low profile and relative distance –particularly on the advocacy front”.
…and that’s the news of interest to Jews today. (our skim is ethnically focused, but we’re thrilled for every reader)