Be informed, be a smart Jew in under 5 minutes. Here’s the news being talked about by smart Jews today… (our skim is ethnically focused, but we’re thrilled for every reader!)
- More chaos as improvised Bomb set off by German government migration office. “Huge” explosion occurred near the Federal Office for Migration in Zirndorf via a suitcase packed with highly flammable aerosol canisters. People fled the scene in panic as a huge bang ripped through the quiet neighborhood. Police said that a man and a woman planted the suitcase, the man was described as around 30 years old, shaved black hair and being of "a Mediterranean appearance" (Arab).
- Iranian General tours Syrian-Israeli border (on the Syrian side). Iranian news just reported that a leading general toured the abandoned Syrian town of Quneitra on the Golan Heights Israeli border. Given that most forces, both Syrian government, Hezbollah and Syrian rebels have left the area over the past year, this visit would seem to be a symbolic threat to Israel from Iran.
- U.S. State Department again tells Israel building for Jews in Jerusalem is bad. Tackling an ongoing housing shortage, the Israeli government approved 323 bids to build in East Jerusalem, and 770 units in the south Jerusalem neighborhood of Gilo, which currently has thousands of homes. Continuing to defy reality and maps which show a contiguous presence of neighborhoods of Jerusalem from Malcha to Beit Tzafafa (an Arab neighborhood) to Gilo, including the new cross-Jerusalem highway extension, U.S. State said “We strongly oppose settlement activity, which is corrosive to the cause of peace. These steps by Israeli authorities are the latest examples of what appears to be a steady acceleration of settlement activity that is systematically undermining the prospects for a two-state solution.” The sky is green because the U.S. State Department says so…but Jerusalem is Jewish because G-d says so.
- Israeli Customs seizes HUGE shipment of fake Viagra. Israeli Customs Authority inspectors seized two million fake Viagra pills and 100 kilograms of anesthetics that could have been used to mix with hard drugs. They were worth a total of $10 million on the black market. The authorities said the shipment posed a real health danger to the public. Too many joke opportunities, must contain myself.
- 1,600 year old kiln found in northern Israel. An ancient pottery workshop featuring an unusual kiln where jars were produced during the Roman period 1,600 years ago was unearthed in an archeological excavation. ““What makes the pottery works so special is its unique kiln, which was hewn in bedrock and is unlike most of the kilns known to us that were built of stone, earth and mud”. It is slated to become part of an archeological park as the area is developed for homes.
- Corsican separatists threaten Islamic militants. Corsican separates, a radical group pushing for an independent Corsica from France, have threatened Islamists that if there are any attacks in Corsica there will be an immediate violent response.
…and that’s the news of interest to Jews today.