Shavua Tov – a good week, a peaceful week (we can hope and pray), a prosperous week, a blessed week!
Be informed, be a smart Jew in 5 minutes. Here’s the news being talked about by Jews today…
Today’s Skim of the News for Jews
- UNESCO's World Heritage Committee, the UN organization that funds and “protects” world heritage, has been working on a draft resolution in Istanbul on Jerusalem that erases the Jews – or rather as they refer to it Al Quds and the Al Aqsa mosque complex. Apparently Jerusalem being the ancient city of the Jews, and the Temple Mount being the location of the two Jewish temples long before Islam, is to be erased from world history. The JOOOOS never had a history, didn’t come from Jerusalem, but should go back to where they come from. It’s so confusing dealing with competing anti-Semitism. The meeting ended early without resolution due to an attempt coup in the country (see next item).
- Coup attempt in Turkey fails. ~3,000 Turkish soldiers attempted to overthrow the government and president of Turkey. They failed when the president called for his supporters via Twitter (which he’s ordered blocked in the country in the past) to confront the military, which they did on the streets. The soldiers, being unwilling to slaughter the civilians, were overrun and even beaten in their tanks. ~300 killed in some military battles in the capital. Rumors have arisen that the coup may have been staged or encouraged by the president, and it has also been noted that the supporters who confronted the military were all young Islamic men shouting allah akbar as they confronted the troops. US President Obama and German Chancellor Merkel quickly came out in support of the Turkish president.
- Israel tech boom continues, with $2.8 billion invested in Israel in the first half of 2016. “The industry is hard at work and the investors are still in the game.”
- In a related note, Haredi (ultra-orthodox) women in Israel have moved en masse into hi-tech jobs. “Since 2000, haredi women's participation in the labor market has climbed by 30 percent. Seventy-five percent of them now have jobs, in line with Israel's overall female population.” “Graduates of programming schools in the overwhelmingly ultra-Orthodox community of Bnei Brak…produce most of the firm's computer programmers.” Some hi-tech companies are even getting rabbinical certification that the environment is suitable for religious women (example requirement – internal office doors should be glass to prevent mixed gender private meetings.)
- Huge explosion in Aleppo, Syria. “Nuke-like explosion rocking Syrian Army Defense Factories in Safira in Aleppo. One report via Hezbollah says "technical error w/ explosives" led to explosions.” No more information is available, but internet and cell phone service was immediately blocked following the event.
- In previous Paris terrorist attack that murdered 130 and wounded close to 400, reports have just come out that the murdered were horribly tortured and mutilated. The results are reported to have been so inhumane and horrific that police and pathology personnel were literally sickened. “I saw weeping from one of our colleagues who came outside to vomit. He told us what he had seen. Bodies of the victims have not been presented to families because there were (censored).” This link has the info, including the disturbing details: here’s the link. These terrorists literally don’t even consider their targets, that’s you and me, to even be human.
…and that’s the news of interest to Jews today.