Be informed, be a smart Jew in 5 minutes or less. Here’s the news being talked about today…
Today’s Skim of the News for Jews
- Did the U.S. State Department fund groups to defeat Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu in Israel’s last election? Seems they did, then deleted all information about it to hide this ILLEGAL MANIPULATION OF A FOREIGN ELECTION. “A State Department official deleted emails that included information about a secret campaign to oust Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu during the country’s last election, the Obama administration transferred tax funds to anti-Netanyahu groups. The administration provided U.S. taxpayer dollars to the OneVoice Movement, a liberal group that waged a clandestine campaign to smear and oust Netanyahu from office.”
- Pokémon Go, the hot phone app of the moment (that also is rumored to vacuum up all your person usage data) continues to work at the US Holocaust Museum and even at the Auschwitz concentration camp. Catching Pokemon amid lessons of genocide certainly seems out of place, but "It's not like we came here to play, but gotta catch 'em all." This is just wrong. On the other hand, reports are hordes of children abandoning the couch and walking miles to find pokemon and have virtual battles in physical gym locations. “I gotta walk 5 kilometers to hatch my pokemon egg”.
- US administration continues to let things rage out of control, as Department of Homeland Security Secretary lumps together the “events” in Dallas (the murder of 5 police offices) with Baton Rouge (where police shot a man who may have been robbing a store) and Minnesota (where an armed man was shot in a traffic stop though probably without reasonable cause). Black Lives Matter protest leaders are now openly calling for shooting and running over of police. Police where shot at yesterday, in one case 15 rounds at an officers HOME, but thank G-d no reports of police deaths. In ongoing social conflict, off-duty police officers working as security at a basketball stadium walked off the job when the players came out in Black Lives Matter shirts.
- The German FBI has announced an alarming finding that Iran made at least nine recent attempts to acquire technology for nuclear arms development. Despite all the happy talk from the United States and its Western allies Iran has never stopped working to achieve its nuclear ambition. Any bets on whether the US administration will take any action as promised in such a situation and by the US-Iran agreement?
- U.S. Republican party changes their party platform removing references to Palestinians and a two-state solution. The new position “The US seeks to assist in the establishment of comprehensive and lasting peace in the Middle East, to be negotiated among those living in the region. “We oppose any measures intended to impose an agreement or to dictate borders or other terms, and call for the immediate termination of all US funding of any entity that attempts to do so.” The “two-state solution” has been the default political position of the US and EU for the last 10 years, so this is a major change – though it’s only a party platform unless Trump wins.
- China has been taking over the South China Sea and stopping freedom of navigation by building islands and placing military bases on them. The Philippines, on the other side of the South China Sea, took China to international court, where China lost. China immediately rejected the ruling. There is significant potential for armed conflict to develop there, with a corresponding major impact on the world economy.
…and that’s the news of interest to Jews today.