Editor: Reb Akiva – Mystical Paths
I do a lot of news skimming and find myself the source for many friends. Let’s see if it make sense to share it… feedback welcomed!
- Unrest continues in the U.S., with police officers even being attacked at home and Black Lives Matter protests turning violent. At least 3 countries have issued travel advisories for their citizens traveling to the U.S. Scott Adams, a famous American pundit, has posted a serious “Surrender Technique” to guarantee safety when being pulled over by a police officer – if you live in America I would take this very seriously.
- The baby bust is starting to make the news. Baby bust refers to countries who are having so few children that the population is shrinking. Leading this pack is Japan, which is now shutting down ~500 schools PER YEAR due to lack of children, and has towns now being roamed by bears and boars (oh my). But 2015 statistics show America has joined the downward fertility spiral. Contrasting this, Israel has the highest birth rate in the Western world, and now has equal birth rates among it’s Jewish and Arab populations.
- In surprising regional news for Israel, Egypt seems to be in a sudden push for high profile diplomatic meetings with Israel. First Turkey warms up to Israel, now Egypt. Regional shifts have moved into high gear and the only obvious driver is Iran becoming a common threat to Shia Arab nations, and the U.S.’s non-participation leading them to form alliances.
- There was a drive-by shooting south of Efrat in the Shomron, continuing ongoing small scale (but still deadly) attacks by Arabs against Jews in Israel. Be ready for the “Palestinians” to scream when Israel finally takes significant measures to stop them killing Jews, which will undoubtedly involve road blocks and inspections – significant inconvenience they could avoid by simply not killing.
- “Something strange is going on in medicine. Major diseases, like colon cancer, dementia and heart disease, are waning in wealthy countries, and improved diagnosis and treatment cannot fully explain it. Scientists marvel at this good news…still, many are puzzled.” Considering the decrease in the quality of insurance coverage in the U.S. and the decline in the national health care system in the UK, it’s even more puzzling. But good news nonetheless!
…and that’s the news of interest to Jews today.