by Reb Akiva @ Mystical Paths
It’s just another September 11th. It’s been 13 years since the worst terrorist attack the United States has ever faced. A generation of children has grown up since then. Many without memories of that time, or only with memories of the aftermath.
- On September 11th, I was on the way to Newark Airport to catch a flight to Boston… the previous flight to Boston, 30 minutes before, having just been hijacked and on it’s way to hit the 2nd tower of the World Trade Center.
- On September 11th, my oldest daughter watch the World Trade Center burn before collapsing from her yeshiva schoolyard in Passaic, New Jersey.
- On September 11th, we did NOT know what was going on. Chaos and panic was real. Where was my wife? Were my children safe in their schools? Should we evacuate?
- On September 11th, my co-workers and team in midtown Manhattan were trapped in New York City (all of them commute from outside the city – all commuter paths were shut down), unable to get out. Most did not get home for 1-2 days, after walking miles to bus or ferry terminals.
- On September 11th, one of our shul members (years after) was trapped in his residential building near the World Trade Center – for a week! No power, no water, no food, no exit.
- After September 11th, our synagogue, neighborhood, and commuter platforms were plastered with signs about missing people – family members, fathers, mothers, husbands, wives, children. None were found.
- Before September 11th, one didn’t fight hijackers. After all, they only wanted a ransom, and probably would only kill a few Jews if found on the plane.
They would do it again if they could.
They would do it bigger if they could. Chemical, biological or nuclear if they thought (or think) they can succeed.
They killed indiscriminately, and they are killing indiscriminately today – just not in the U.S. mainland (at the moment).
Women, children, military targets, civilian targets, there is no difference to them.
They cannot be accommodated or reasoned with.
There is no option compatible with maintaining your civilization to meet their demands.
Ignore them or don’t take them seriously and another generation will learn what September 11 is. G-d forbid.