by Reb Akiva @ Mystical Paths
25 years of a sedentary lifestyle and 70 pounds of added body weight come with a host of medical diagnoses...
- “Metabolic syndrome” which means “near diabetic” with high blood sugar. The worry? At some point this becomes actual diabetes, with all it’s associated terrible problems.
- “Non-alcoholic fatty liver”. This often comes along with the above and sometimes turns into cancer or a non-functioning liver (transplant or death). It also prevents cholesterol treatments.
- High cholesterol and triglycerides. Not treatable due to the fatty liver. Increased risk of heart attack.
- High blood pressure. Increased risk of heart attack and organ damage. Treatable with medication.
- Morbidly Obese. That just means seriously overweight. I already knew that.
When hearing someone is overweight, the frequent response is “so eat less”. “Why are you eating unhealthy?” "Can't you control yourself?". Yet nowadays many are having such problems, and doing so while eating per nutritional standards.
In my home, my wife has been VERY health conscious. She skins the chickens and eliminates the fat. She cooks without salt. No butter. Whole wheat bread and spelt challah. Low sugar cooking. Plenty of fresh vegetables. Not too many kugels. Turkey in the cholent (instead of fatty beef). Cakes and cookies only for Yom Tov (holidays). Shmaltz? Once on Pesach (Passover) only. Pizza or a burger, maybe once a month.
The diet is healthy by nutritional standards. But I gained 70 pounds and a host of health issues. Something is wrong here! I “eat healthy” but I’m getting sicker and sicker and heavier and heavier.
I’ve felt there is nothing I could do! The doctor adds a medication and instructs me to see the nutritionist, who gives menus similar to what I'm already eating. And I continue to struggle to remain functional every day.
(There’s no diet advertisement or magic diet pill website coming at the end of this article series. If only things were so simple!)
...to be continued.
Wednesday, June 11, 2014
// 6/11/2014 //