by Reb Akiva at Mystical Paths
A commentor wrote: "the main thing i want to say is this: i don't appreciate people hoping for a comrade obama victory, G-d forbid. some say this will be great for aliyah, which i understand; but as a person who tries to have rachmones, i know that mccain/palin would be best for usa, israel and the world.
i don't know how much you know in israel, but obama is evil, with evil associations. he is a real dastardly slickster. i want to make aliyah and don't appreciate people in israel desiring such a bad man to be in charge of america because they think it will hasten geulah. i cannot stand those kinds of statements!!!!
it is sickening, quite frankly, and lacks any sort of concern for the real lives of people in both usa and israel. one should always daven for the best to happen, not for the 'worst' as some kind of hastening of a greater good. yids that do that actually turn off alot of people from becoming more observant.
think about that!
Just to clarify, to date Mystical Paths has endorsed no one in the US presidential election. Here's what Mystical Paths has to say on this election:
1. Most entertaining US election ever! (I'm certain some will take that the wrong way.)
2. The picking of Governor Palin as a running mate seriously excited my teenage daughters and changed their outlook on possibilities, something that Senator Clinton's candidacy did not do.
3. Orthodox Jewish tradition provides different motivations to lean towards the Democrats and the Republicans. On moral issues, the Republicans get the nod. On social justice issues, the Democrats get the nod. On tax issues and Jewish schooling issues, the Republicans get the nod. On equality and anti-discrimination issues, the Democrats get the nod. BOTH parties have some issues that fit the religious Jewish mindset well, and some that are antithetical.
4. Congressional Republicans have been a domestic disaster for 6 years, abandoning party principles for full access to the national checkbook. Congressional Democrats have proven they can keep up with the Republicans in their 2 years of control.
5. The bad international political decisions of the Democrats from 10 years ago are STILL hurting the US, with US troops still in the Balkans and a pissed off Russia out to cause trouble 10 years later. The Democrat goody-too-shoo world approach is a failure with serious repercussions, which included the build up of Islamic terrorism to the level of attacking the US directly.
6. The 7 years of Republican international war politics of blow them to *ell over there then rebuild it real nice (at our expense) and they'll like us has it's advantages (it's better over there than over here) but has also been a massive failure. First, it's more costly (in dollars and lives) than the American people are willing to sustain. Second, rebuilding from scratch is a nightmare. Third, the US military hasn't been structured for this, and it ties up a majority of US force projection capability.
7. On Israel, the Democrats have forced Israel into untenable goody-too-shoo peace processes requiring Israel to invite mass murderers into the house, and fully train and equip them in pursuing their goals. This has cost Israel hundreds of lives in terror attacks. The Republicans have been more straightforward, Israel must sacrifice parts of itself to make the Arabs happy, resulting in the southern part of Israel being under constant bombardment and the northern border bristling with enemy rockets.
There are stark choices of bad national and international management facing you in this election. BUT NEITHER CANDIDATE HAS PRESENTED ANY * NEW * OR ANY * GOOD * OPTIONS OR POLICIES.
With no good choices on the table, Mystical Paths abstains.
Friday, October 17, 2008
// 10/17/2008 //