Be informed, be a smart Jew in under 5 minutes. Here’s the news being talked about by smart Jews today… (our skim is ethnically focused, but we’re thrilled for every reader!)
- Unemployment in Israel falls to 4.8% In Israel the unemployment rate fell from 5.2% in the first quarter to 4.8% in the second quarter.
- German University TEACHES sick outrageous claims of Israel harvesting “Palestinian” organs. "This is an ugly and outrageous demonstration of Jew hatred. This is not a university - it is a hatred factory." A German university faced scathing criticism for teaching students that the Jewish state is an apartheid government that harvests Palestinian organs and commits genocidal atrocities. The HAWK University of Applied Sciences and Arts in the city of Hildesheim in the German state of Lower Saxony has taught a course assaulting Israel’s existence for at least 10 years, including sick lies such as organ harvesting.
- U.S. pundit shares a reasonable scenario of martial law and uprising in the U.S. “How much violence against authority would it take for President Obama to declare martial law and stay in power? Less than you think. Television coverage will make every act of violence seem a hundred times worse than it is.”
- Blood donations in Miami, Florida halted over Zika virus fears. In Miami, investigators probe four potential non-travel associated cases of the mosquito-borne Zika virus, which can cause birth defects. "In consideration of the possibility of an emerging local outbreak of Zika virus, and as a prudent measure to help assure the safety of blood and blood products, FDA is requesting that all blood establishments in Miami-Dade County and Broward County cease collecting blood immediately."
- Parshat Pinchas in the U.S. and outside Israel, Parshat Matos in Israel. Parshat Pinchas is read this week outside of Israel. Pinchas receives the covenant of peace for his zealous actions for G-d, the Jewish people have a census (counted a special way), and the daughters of Tzelafchad petition Moshe Rabbaynu to not lose the family portion of land after their father dies, resulting in the changing of the laws of inheritance. Parshat Matos in Israel. War is waged against Midian for attempting the moral destruction of the Jewish nation, and the tribes of Reuven and Gad are given the land on the OTHER SIDE of the Jordan (what today is the country of Jordan).
- Pictures of the day… Looking north towards Haifa, Israel from inside the south Haifa high-tech industrial park.
…and that’s the news of interest to Jews today…and GOOD SHABBOS!
We do NOT publish on the Holy Shabbos, Friday sundown until Saturday nightfall. The next Skim for Jews will be on Sunday, G-d willing.